Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Got Parsley?

It's late summer and the herb pot is full and luxurious.  There's a lot of parsley out there needing to be eaten.  What to do?  Make tabouli!

Tabouli (also spelled tabbouleh) is one of my favorite salads -- so fresh, yet hearty.  Late summer is the perfect time to make it, with lots of parsley and garden fresh tomatoes available.  Making tabouli requires a fair bit of chopping.  You can use a food processor if you wish, but I like to chop everything by hand, so that I get the sizes exactly the way I want them.  I enjoy it.  Plus, after chopping all that parsley and mint, my kitchen smells divine.  So, turn on some fun music and get chopping!

This particular salad was made to strains of The Supremes and Sly and the Family Stone.
"Everybody is a Star," especially you when you serve this yummy salad to friends and family.


Tabouli

Adapted from Nikki & David Goldbeck’s American Wholefoods Cuisine

1/2 cup cracked or bulgur wheat
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves
1 cucumber, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
1 large tomato, diced (about 1 cup)
3 scallions, sliced thin
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt


Soak the wheat in hot water for about 15 minutes.  Drain well, squeezing out all water.  Toss all ingredients together, stirring to mix well.  Chill or serve immediately at room temperature.

18 comments:

  1. Wish I was coming to tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks super healthy! Good job! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I've never eat tabouli before! It looks super delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love tabouli! This is a great lunch idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your platter! Tabouli is so good for you and yes, a great way to use up a lot of parsley. We're coming into salad season here in Oz which is very exciting xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds GOOD... I've never heard of that dish --nor had it.. BUT--I want to try it... YUM...

    Thanks..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never eaten it before, but I love salads, so I think I'd enjoy it. It looks light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried this or heard of it. Another recipe on my To Try list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tabbouleh is one of those things that I love but often forget about ... I think I know what will be on the menu here this weekend! Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Oh: and I love knowing what you were listening to while making this. I feel like I was with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tried a taboulli dish before, but it wasn't for me. I think I like everything but not necessarily together so the next time I think I will opt out on the mint (or until my palette chooses to adjust - lol). Your dish looks super yummy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks very good. I will give this a try. Thank you for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe and photo.
    Hope you have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had this dish several times but have never made it myself. I should do so! It's so delicious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. I got this shallow bowl on clearance at Michael's. It's a peacock. When I saw it, I just had to have it. I texted a photo of it to my daughter, and she wanted one too, so she rushed over to her nearest Michael's and was lucky enough to find one. It's so fun!

      Delete
  17. I know, I hate having herbs go to waste -- they're so expensive! I like to grow my own parsley and basil in a pot in the summer, which makes it easy. I don't know how sun-dried tomatoes would work. You'd probably have to add more moisture to make up for the natural juiciness of fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.