Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Tax Time Pick-Me-Up

A very good friend is an accountant.  When tax season rolls around, she and her partner and their staff are always swamped with work.  They barely can come up for air.  When I stopped by recently to turn in my signed e-forms, I also dropped off a little pick-me-up snack to keep them going through the afternoon.

Sausage cheese balls: tax free but not guilt free
Sausage cheese balls are a staple at parties and breakfasts in the South.  They are definitely not a health food, but -- yum!

Sausage cheese balls have been a favorite of mine for many years.  I don't make them very often because of health concerns, but they are popular at our house around the holidays or other times people want a treat.  Our son, for example, recently requested them as part of his birthday breakfast.  A dear friend of mine from my Tennessee teenage years also now lives in northern Illinois.  She always makes sausage cheese balls for parties.  I remember her mother-in-law once sniffing, "You Southern girls certainly like your sausage cheese balls."  Why, yes, Mrs. Irish Chicago, we certainly do!  And you better not get in between us and our sausage balls or we might knock you over!  While I don't actually advocate violence, I do advocate these savory snacks.

They are a little bit of work to make, but worth it.  The recipe I use comes from Tennessee Pride, which is the only kind of bulk sausage I buy, but you can use any brand.  Sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese is also a must.  The mixing takes time, especially depending how much biscuit mix you try to work in.  My daughter uses two cups when she makes these, but I think it is worth the trouble to mix in three full cups, but it does involve using your hands and pulling the meat and cheese mix apart to get more dry ingredients to adhere.  Here you can see the sausage/cheese combination before and after the biscuit mix is incorporated.


After baking, your sausage balls should be golden and crispy, round bite-sized balls like this:


But if they turn out like this,


flat or misshapen blobs, don't worry.  Eat them anyway, they'll taste just as good!


Sausage Cheese Balls

1 pound bulk (or roll) sausage, mild or hot
2 cups shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
2-3 cups biscuit mix (like Bisquick)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Using fork or hands, combine sausage and cheese in large mixing bowl .  Blend in biscuit mix a little bit at a time, using hands, until well mixed.  Roll into 1-inch balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  You can flip the balls over halfway through baking if desired.  Serve warm or at room temperature.


Makes approximately 75.

Printable recipe


7 comments:

  1. So happy you're back!!!!!!!!! *squee* I have missed your blog, but I'm happy you still visited mine while you were "away."

    Now I'm craving sausage balls! We love them, but Mr. Art likes them spicy! I'm having Swedish meatballs for lunch. Close, but no cigar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased to see you back. I missed your first post back as I didn't look at my Bloglovin feed properly. I will make sure not to miss you again. I have to agree on the whole stats/visitor thing. I now just write my blog for me, and if I get comments then its a bonus.

    Those meatballs look great thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very tasty! Is the sausage raw before mixing with other ingredients? If so, I guess I can use ground meat instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. Yes, the sausage is raw when it is mixed in. That's why it's important not to make the balls too big, so that the meat cooks thoroughly while baking. If you used other ground meat, you might need to add flavorings/seasoning.

      Delete
  4. That's so nice of you to make these for the accountants working so hard. They really must have appreciated these. I think sausage and a sharp cheese work together brilliantly. I imagine these are highly addictive and can understand your son requesting them for his birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice of you to send snacks to the busy people. This time of year is ROUGH for people in the tax business. I'm sure they loved their snacks. I could eat a million of those sausage cheese balls. I LOVE 'em... My problem is knowing where to STOP... ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, this looks like a super recipe for my Steve to enjoy. He has diabetes and the doctor has him on a low carbohydrate diet. It is hard for me to think up snacks with no or low carbs . . . this is perfect! Thanks again,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.