Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Put away that hoe! Grilled zucchini boats

"The first zucchini I ever saw, I killed it with a hoe."  -- columnist John Gould in Monstrous Depravity: A jeremiad and a lamentation [about things to eat], 1963
Zucchini can take over a garden, and maybe some gardeners feel like taking a hoe to them on occasion.  When I was growing up, if a zucchini hid under the leaves and got too big to suit my mother (and by too big I mean anything over five or six inches long), she would pull it off and chuck it aside to let it rot in the garden.  Let's face it, zucchini are so prolific that gardeners can get pretty cavalier with them.  

We don't have enough space or sun to grow zucchini at our house, so I cherish zukes when I get good ones.  Last week I showed you the zucchini I got at the farmer's market.  Today I'll show you what I did with them.  My sister-in-law sent me this great grilled zucchini boat recipe.  If you have a zucchini-filled garden, it'll have you saying "whoa" to the hoe!  

This was cooked directly on the grill for great grill marks.

This recipe could be changed up almost any way you like.  You could make it spicy, add garlic or olives.  I've even seen similar recipes with bacon or sausage.  We liked it just like this, as a side dish.  It makes a beautiful presentation.

Grilled Zucchini Boats

2 medium zucchini (6-7 inches long), ends trimmed
3/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
2 plum or large cherry tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons bread Italian crumbs
1/2 teaspoon (or several grinds with pepper mill) black pepper
Olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat grill to medium-high heat.  Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.  Scoop out centers to for a 1/2-inch- thick shell.



For filling:  Chop the zucchini center flesh.  Combine with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, basil, onions, bread crumbs and black pepper. 

Brush cut side of zucchini lightly with olive oil.  You can salt them lightly if desired.  Place zucchini, cut side down, on grill either directly or in a grill basket.  Grill, covered, for 6-8 minutes until tender crisp.  Check occasionally to prevent burning.

Turn zucchini over and fill the wells evenly with the filling.  Sprinkle on remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and parsley.  

Filled and ready to go back to the grill.


Return to grill and cook, covered, for additional 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through.   Remove from grill.  If not using a basket, remove carefully using a large spatula.


26 comments:

  1. oh-Yum! Love the quote about killing the zucchini with a hoe- I have felt like that! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. killed with a hoe....hahahaha...that would be me.
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that looks amazing! I've got a golden one in the fridge right now and I'm thinking that's now it's destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. This looks incredible. I'm definitely pinning this one!I'd make it right now if I could. I have everything except the zucchini. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I did something similar this year with all the summer squash we had. Nothing like yummy and healthy food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks sooo good! I would definitely love to try this one. Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so amazing! Thanks for stopping by Posed Perfection last week and leaving me some comment love. I hope you'll visit again soon. Have a great week.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so yummy! We grow our zucchini in a large container. We have the green and the yellow ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love zucchini. I have lovely zucchini flowers on my plants, but no zucchini...yet. The vines are forcing their way through
    the garden. They may need more room then I gave them.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe, it does look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so delicious. Unfortunately. I have a weird allergy to zucchini. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a great recipe. Now I need to find me some zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! I'll have to try this! Besides, I'm always looking for recipes for my husband to grill!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. Thx for sharing the recipe and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, those look delicious! I just started appreciating zucchini in the last couple years - I wouldn't touch it before that.

    ♥ aquariann
    Featured Photo: Sweet Potato Duck

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen similar recipes before, and they always look delicious. I bet that this would work well with eggplant, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that looks so yummy! I love anything with zucchini. I haven't gardened for a few years and I'm so happy when someone gifts me with a few.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I am not a huge vegetable eater but these look wonderful!!! I do really like zucchini though. They are so versatile. I like the idea of adding sausage and bacon too. Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love zucchini and I had no idea they're so easy to grow and thought after in such a low light. I love how you've scooped out the centre and stuffed them. These would be so tasty xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you put both fresh parsley & basil in this recipe - looks so delicious!
    ps - the good thing about NOT growing zucchini is that you never come down with "zucchini exhaustion" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a cool idea, never thought you could do that to a zucchini (this is a great vegetarian option too)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the quote about the hoe!! If I'm right zucchini are what we call courgettes?!They look the same in the photo anyway! We've grown some this year. They're not as prolific in our garden as they are over there but we've are getting a few. I like them but don't love them and when Chris comes in from the garden with another one I always think 'Mmm well what shall I do with it this time?...'. Thanks for the recipe - it looks nice and easy and would make a nice lunch. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh boy! This is definitely on my to try list! We love zucchini and this looks delicious! We stuffed a zucchini with a meat and rice mixture last week and I wasn't fond of it. I'm more a veggie person. This looks wonderful and we are going to make this soon!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yum!!! I'm pinning this recipe for later. I'll have to fight with my cat because he loves Parmesan cheese...:0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.