Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

A Different Brownie

I have a project up my sleeve involving baby food jars.  My "baby" just turned twenty years old last week, so I really don't have a use for baby food.  I looked into buying empty jars on Etsy, but the cost with shipping was about twice what I could pay for full jars at the big box discount store here in town.  I'm pretty frugal, so I knew it would be foolish to pay double, but I also grew up with parents who do not believe in waste.  I can't just pour out all that baby food.  I solved my dilemma by buying baby applesauce and making chocolate applesauce brownies.  (To be truthful, though, they are better with regular, non-baby applesauce.  Baby food applesauce is so finely processed that it is almost a liquid.) These brownies are a favorite of mine from childhood.  They are moist and dense, and the applesauce adds a different taste. Over the years, I updated the recipe to reduce the original amounts of sugar and salt.  Give them a try for a change of pace.  I'm going to be eating a lot of them in order to empty my baby food jars!




Chocolate Applesauce Brownies

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup applesauce (or two baby food jars)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Spray a 9x13 pan with vegetable spray; set aside.

In microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter together in microwave; stir to combine.  While chocolate and butter are melting, sift together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.

In a large bowl, beat or whisk eggs until light.  Gradually add sugar and continue to whisk.    Stir in chocolate/butter mixture.  Whisk for 30 seconds or until fully incorporated.  Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.  Stir in applesauce, nuts, and vanilla. 

Pour into 9x13 pan.  Tap pan gently to release air bubbles.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 30 minutes (check for doneness after 25 minutes).    Let cool and cut into squares.




23 comments:

  1. Hi girl! I discovered your blog via Melissa. I think we both adore her, right? I am following you now! :) Hopefully you can also visit my blog and if you like it, you can follow me as well. It would be easier to get in touch then! Best

    http://cafesocietyxxi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, thanks for sharing this recipe! Love your solution to the baby jar problem ... but now I'm curious - what's this upcoming project?? Ah, teasers. :)

    And thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always heard, "Waste not, want not." I guess you are the epitomy of this saying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm they look very nice! Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea!! And I even love serving browinies with fresh strawberries! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thinking! They look delicious! I can't wait to see what your project is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious and I too am very curious about your jam jar collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love putting apple sauce into my baked goods...it just makes everything creamier. I'll be watching to see what you do with the jars.
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love really chocalate gooey brownies and these look great...I am not big on the cake like brownies. I wonder if you could find baby food jars on freecycle? Not sure if you are registered with freecycle in your area but they seem to list a lot of different types of jars with our local freecycle might be worth checking into! Can't wait to see what the project will be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your daughter. I'm sure like me, you're wondering where all the time went. Your brownies look delicious and that is a great way to use up leftover apple sauce. But why do you need all those jars?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh great idea with the baby applesauce! They look tasty. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been buying baby food, too - for the prune puree that I use in baking. The jars disappear into my husband's workshop...No idea! Your brownies look delish and very fudge-like!

    An Unrefined Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, these look good. And I'm always looking for ways to cut the fat while maintaining the flavor. Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound delicious. I am saving this for when I am off my diet :( can't wait to see your project with the jars.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look and sound delicious! No calories, right? Oh, who cares! I'll eat them anyway! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so yummy!

    Love,
    Monica

    www.monicakwok.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy! Another thing you can do with the babyfood if you have a dehydrator is make fruit leathers. My daughter had a few different kinds of fruit babyfood she didn't eat and we combined them and dried them and the results were really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that brownie sounds yummy! Thanks for providing a printable recipe! I remember making something that used baby food plums but don't remember what -- I'll have to go check my recipe box!!
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a fun comment about your dough boy cookie jar -- I got a kick out of it giggling!!
    Found your shop on Etsy and circled you -- following here too (gotta see what you do with all those jars!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, yum, yum YUM!! These sound completely delcious! And printable too - you clever clogs, you!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...those look really great. I love a moist brownie. Do you mind if I pin these on pinterest for later? I'm asking now to curb all that weird law suit stuff going on now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.