Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Toffee

I realized the other day that I hadn't made any goodies for Christmas that contained chocolate, and chocolate is one of my primary food groups.  I had decided to skip the fudge this year as I'm the only one in my family who eats it.  Still, I needed something with chocolate, so I made a chocolate-topped toffee.

A friend gave me this recipe a number of years ago.  She said it came from Betty Crocker.  It's quite easy to make, just involves a lot of stirring.  Also, you need to work quickly once you put the warm butter/sugar mixture in the pan.  If you are too slow putting on the chocolate chips, they will not melt.  If that happens, and you are using a glass pan, you can run it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to help melt the chips.  I used Hershey's dark chocolate chips this year, which turned out extra yummy!


Toffee
from Betty Crocker

1 cup chopped pecans
¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
½ cup butter
½ cup chocolate chips

Butter a 9x9 or 8x8 square pan.  Spread pecans in pan.

Heat sugar and brown sugar to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil over medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.  Immediately spread mixture evenly over nuts in pan. 

Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot mixture and cover with a baking sheet so the heat will melt the chips.  Spread the chocolate evenly over candy mixture. 

While hot, cut into squares.  Chill until firm.  Store in refrigerator.

6 comments:

  1. I love recipes! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to make this. I even printed off the recipe!

    Visiting you from the Etsy blog team!

    http://katersacres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds just scrumptious! Hope everyone leaves you some to eat, because if I did it in my house when all the family were present, there would not be many for me!

    Have a Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing! I think I may try to cook it!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUm! That looks really good. Can you do a tutorial on strawberry strudels. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.