Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Turkey and Bubbles

our 2010 Thanksgiving turkey
Today I went with a friend to a Williams-Sonoma Technique Class, The Perfect Turkey.  It was fun and, what's more, I learned a few things even though I've been roasting turkeys for more than twenty years.  We even got to taste a turkey prepared with their dry brine.  It was really juicy, but maybe a little too flavorful for me, and too salty for my friend.  I like my turkey mild so that the stuffing can carry the flavor.  My parents like to joke that I dump a whole container of rubbed sage into my cornbread stuffing.  This is not exactly accurate, but I do like sage.  A lot.

Being Williams-Sonoma, of course, the instructor was a little snooty and gave disapproving glances to a woman who confessed to using a grocery-store aluminum pan to roast her turkeys.  The store's roasting pans are very nice and were even on sale, but really? who wants to spend $199 on a roasting pan to use once or twice a year?  They have an even bigger model for $279.  What?  And these are sale prices, kids.  After lunch we stopped in Home Goods, and they had an equally fabulous Cuisinart roasting pan for around $59.  Personally, I use my grandmother's old enamel roasting pan.  Anyway, the class was fun and we got to save 10% on our Williams-Sonoma purchases.  I managed to control myself and only got a couple of whisks that I really needed.

Are you wondering about the "bubbles" in my title?  Since my friend signed us up for the class and was doing the driving, I wanted to give her a little thank you. So I crocheted a dishcloth/hot pad for her.  You know that I only learned to crochet very recently, but I think the cloth turned out well.  I made a similar one for my daughter last month.  I found the pattern, Bubble Dishcloth, on Ravelry; it's easy and pretty quick to make.

Two and a half weeks until Thanksgiving.  I'm already feeling thankful today -- for my old pan, my new whisks, crochet thread, and mostly my family and friends.

4 comments:

  1. That's a cute dishcloth. I love the colors!

    Anyway, I can't wait for Thanksgiving. I am not craving the turkey (ours always come out a bit dry...>_<), but instead I can't wait for the bread stuffed with Bree cheese. I cannot remember what it is called... but it is gooooodddd! Yum. Great post!

    P.S- your turkey looks good!

    coffeebreakcrn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...I thought you were going to say Turkey and bubbly champagne. I did not expect the dish cloth!!

    I already had our Thanksgiving celebration back in September...but I think we should be thankful, everyday, for the many wonderful things we have in our lives. Even if things are not the greatest, always remember they could be much worse.

    "I wept because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet."

    This is one of my favorite quotes that helps me to keep things in perspective and to realize how wonderful my life is.

    Carla
    blueberryjunkie.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great how you can learn new things? Even if it's something that you've been doing for years, you can still learn a new technique, or something to add to the way you've always done something before. It sounds like you and your friend had a really great time! =)
    The dishcloth looks great! I love the color of it.
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies team

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very pretty dishcloth. I think I'll try it. Sometimes I like to sew, sometimes I like to paint, somtimes I like to knit - only problem is, sometimes I don't finish it. :)

    You finished it and it looks very good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.