Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Constant Cravings -- Solution!

The microwave brownies didn't stop the chocolate cravings.  Even a few Dove dark chocolates didn't do it.  Let's face it, when a girl wants brownies, a girl wants BROWNIES.  Thursday afternoon I broke down and made the real McCoy -- the ultimate, luscious, deep dish brownies that I was craving.





I've had this recipe for years, and I have no idea where I got it.  It's so perfect, I hardly tinker with it at all.  My only addition to this recipe is the chopped nuts.  The original recipe calls for margarine.  I have used butter, but I really can't tell any difference in the finished product.  And three sticks is a lot, so I generally use margarine as it's less expensive. You can halve the recipe, but I never do because I prefer middle pieces to edges, and there aren't enough middles with a square pan.  I tried to offset this decadence by also making homemade vegetable soup.  I figure all the vegetables sorta balance out all the sugar.  The main thing, though, is that the chocolate craving has been satisfied.  Ahhh.


Deep Dish Brownies

1 1/2 cups margarine, melted
3 cups sugar (1 cup of this can be brown sugar)
3 teaspoons vanilla
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate or peanut butter chips (I always use chocolate!)
1 cup chopped walnuts




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9 x 13 pan.
In medium mixing bowl, blend melted margarine, sugar, and vanilla.  Add eggs; beat well.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended.
Stir in chips and nuts.
Spread in pan.
Bake 40-45 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this! My hubby is a brownie fan, I'm not particularly a chocolate lover, I can take it or leave it, but I'll make him some! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like the quintessential brownie, FOR SURE! I love thick brownies and also prefer the middle pieces. Luckily my partner prefers the corner pieces, so it all works out. Glad you were able to tame the tiger!

    Dough, Dirt & Dye
    Empty On the Inside

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delectable - I'm gonna have to find a way to get that in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That looks soooo delicious! I have to stop drooling before it messes up my keyboard. I better go make some brownies. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely incredible. I am in charge of desserts for Thanksgiving so I may just have to thieve this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They looks absolutely delicious...yummy:) Once in a while, you just have to listen to your tummy:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are KILLING ME HERE! Those look so moist, chocolatey, and delicious!

    I will have to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arg! Wow that looks good! Today is day 1 of my newest diet...for Christmas beach vacation. This is not helping!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.